February 1, 2011

The Good Shepherd?

"I am the good shepherd; I know My sheep and my sheep know me--
just as the Father knows Me and I know the Father--
and I lay down My life for the sheep.

(John 10:14-15 -- NIV)

I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.
As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father;
and I lay down My life for the sheep.

(John 10:14-15 -- NKJV)


With this verse, Jesus calls himself, “The good shepherd.”

It occurred to me this morning upon reading it that if there's a 'good' shepherd, there's probably a BAD shepherd, too.

We know this to be true, of course. I just don't know if it ever hit me like it did this morning.

We need to ask ourselves every morning -- and every time we take action or react, truly:

Which shepherd am I following right now?


While instant transformation may be the case for some, God shows clearly in scripture that this is NOT how He works on every one of us.

The Spirit is in us at the point of salvation, yes. But He chips away at us over a lifetime, it shows again and again throughout the Old and New Testaments.


“Choose This Day…”


It is our ‘daily’ battle as to which shepherd we choose to follow.

God says in the Book of Joshua:

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve.
(Joshua 24:15)


It's not a once-a-week battle. It's not a day-to-day battle. It is a moment-to-moment, action-to-reaction struggle.

Do you let your circumstances dictate your actions and reactions? Do you let your emotions rule over you?

Most of us do, day after day.

Each day will, Will, WILL have its own set of 'circumstances' which will delude you, trick you -- and take your attention away from what truly matters -- if you continue letting them.


A Prayer for You Today


Lord Jesus, you are our good, great, and Almighty shepherd. We choose You, Lord. Thank You for choosing us first.

Please help us today to be bright lights for you. Like your cities on a hillside for all the people to see and come to for refuge, for comfort, for strengthening. Use us today, Jesus, please.

Love others through us today, Lord. Help us be better than we could be on our own. Help us share Your Truth today, Father. Please bless us with your Godly wisdom. Bless us with a strengthening of faith. Bless us with and through your Word.

Most of all, Your will be done, not ours. Here on earth, as it is in heaven. In Jesus' name we pray to you, Father, and we praise You. Thank You for loving us. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment