January 7, 2011

Harmless?

I don’t know about other countries, other cultures, but here in America, we’re well-packed and ready to travel when it comes to ‘emotional baggage.’

Normally the first part of Philippians 2:14-15 is what gets me. "Do all things without complaining or disputing." That's near impossible, seems like -- and is a great reminder. Today, though, what smacked me upside my noggin was one word: harmless.

I received that scripture recently as the ‘verse of the day.’ It put me on a contemplative path with that one word. This time the version that got my attention most was the NKJV:


“Do all things without complaining and disputing,
that you may become blameless and harmless,
children of God without fault
in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation,
among whom you shine as lights in the world.”
-- Philippians 2:14-15


Harmless.....

Harmless?

Harmless. That's a tough one. Tough word... Tough Word.

In my moments of frustration, of anger -- whenever I may lose my temper -- I probably do not appear 'harmless.' At least, not to some kiddos, I'm sure.

Ranting & raving scares some, scares many, even though many are calloused to it.

Harmless?

If I let myself spout-off momentarily now & then, I not only look foolish, I not only may scare those around me (such as my children), but I let down God, too.

In addition, it’s a case of Word Vs. World again.

The world tells us to be tough. To kick butt. To not be taken advantage of. To screw the other guy before he screws you.

Take no prisoners. Stand tall. Blah, blah, blah.

Harmless? Not quite yet. Not me. How about you?


Today’s Prayer:

Lord, I, we, need your help. Please, Jesus, let us appear, let us BE, harmless to those around us. We need you, Lord. Help us to be, “Harmless.”

Let it, let us, glorify you through it all, Jesus. Glorify You, Father. Thank you for your word to teach us, to guide us, to grow us.

Please strengthen us now. Bless us with your Godly wisdom. Thank You, Jesus, and thank You, Father, for Jesus. Amen.


Strive On--All for His Glory,

No comments:

Post a Comment