January 15, 2011

Your Purpose In Life?

I sometimes sign-off on my e-mails with the phrase, “All for His Glory.” Someone asked me recently what I meant by that.

In this instance, what I mean is that I can't help but chuckle at all these people moaning about what their purpose in life might be. Since I've been blessed enough to learn the simple truth, that is. Because at some point, I was wondering the same thing.

Millions of people say they want to know, but then they don't actually go and read God's word, the Holy Bible, to get the answers they constantly ask for.

This is why millions of books were sold under the Christian-based title of,
"The Purpose-Driven Life." I’m not knocking the book. It has its place.

But as to what anyone's purpose is, if they are a Christ-follower, or at least claim to be a Christian, it's stated in the Bible.


Ephesians & Proverbs


In the Book of Ephesians I believe it is, God says pretty directly that we were created to glorify Him. In all that we do, whatever we do, we are to do our best to give Him the glory for it and through it.

And in Proverbs He specifically says that we dream and we plan, but He directs our steps.

So I say that whatever you do, if you end up actually doing it and not just dreaming or talking about it, He led you to it and through it, and we are to glorify Him through it all.


“All Scripture Is God-Breathed...”


Why do I say, ‘He said this’ or ‘He says that?’ Because the Holy Bible is clearly stated as being, “God’s Inspired Word.” Some versions call it, “God-breathed.” Check out the 2nd Book of Timothy, chapter 3, verse 16 (“2 Tim 3:16”).

To help save you time – and make sure you actually read it – I’ll just share it below. Here’s what the NIV says:


2 Timothy 3:16-17 --
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


The New International Version (NIV) is both a word-for-word and thought-for-thought translation. The Message (MSG) is more of a paraphrase, looser translation.

But to read more than one version at a time can often help get the idea across better if you aren't sure exactly what a particular bit of scripture might be meaning.

Here's how the MSG states it:


2 Tim 3:16-17 --
Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful one way or another—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God's way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.

So God tells us, through the Apostles, pretty clearly I might add, that it is Him speaking to us through scripture, not 'mere humans' or human thinking.


What Does It Actually Mean?


That means whatever I do -- whether I'm a janitor, a plumber, a French-fry guy at Mickey D's, a factory worker, an Entrepreneur, a CEO of a Fortune 500 company, a Missionary changing lives, a doctor saving lives, a brain surgeon, or a true rocket scientist -- all glory should go to God.

Because He either led me or let me go down that path.

He gave me my very breath each day, gives it to me each day, and though most of us are not, we should be thankful, and give praise and thanks to the Almighty God.

What’s your purpose in life? Simply this:

To glorify God in whatever you do – in all that you do.


There's your answer. And all of that is wrapped-up in my sign-off when I say something like, "All for His Glory." ;-)

Strive On!

No comments:

Post a Comment